Yes, I know. This has been a long time coming. The first week of each month seems to kick my schedule around and throw it out the back door.
However, I feel like there were more pros than cons this October. I don’t feel like it was a total failure. Make sure to go check out the Debt Payoff page as well – I updated it this weekend!
Without further ado, here are the screenshots of my October budget (click on each one to see full size images!):
This PearBudget spreadsheet really makes it easy to see where I’m spending money. Also of note, some individual things like rent, insurance, etc. aren’t listed here – but are all conglomerated under “regular expenses” in the second picture. This October I was way over budget at -$212.49. However, that’s way WAYYYYY better than last month when I was at -$375.17. That’s a $162.68 difference/improvement! It also may have helped that I tweaked some amounts, but I’ll go into that next!
Housecare: I ran over by less than $30. I’m going to be ok with this because I caught up on TWO overdue balances that upped the bills in this category. That being said, all bills in this category are now CURRENT! 🙂 This was a category that had the budget increased for this month.
Groceries: I was UNDER by $1.26. Hey, that’s still under. Win!
Dining out: This is always my biggest struggle. However, please note an improvement from last month – TWO days WITHOUT dining out expenses vs. last month’s EVERY DAY dining out expenses. This column will always need improvement.
Car gas: I was under budget by less than $20. That’s a WIN in my book.
Haircuts: I actually got one this month and went over budget. Not surprised. I’ll go back in 6 months and do it again.
Miscellaneous: Ugh. This turned out NASTY. I was hit with overdraft fees/annual CC fees this month due to some poor planning on my part. Those did not help me stay anywhere NEAR my estimated expenses. I even increased the budgeted amount for this category. Not a win for October.
GOALS SET FOR OCTOBER:
- Up the budgeted amounts for housecare & miscellaneous columns. — SUCCESS! (Did I meet those budgets? Eh.)
- Stay under the $100 dining out budget. — NOT A SUCCESS!
- Get at least ONE of my monthly bills lowered by calling and asking for a better deal. — SUCCESS! (Internet bill down $6)
- Make at least $100 in side hustle cash. — SUCCESS! (Done via extra shifts at bar, online work, and direct sales business)
GOALS FOR NOVEMBER:
- Avoid ANY overdraft fees! Those suck!
- Eliminate STORE CARD debt! (See Debt Payoff page!)
- Make at least $150 in side hustle cash. (Keeping this goal conservatively growing.)
- Stay under $100 dining out budget. (I can hope.)
Let’s see how November goes, it’s already off to a crazy busy start! Must have something to do with all these pesky holidays coming up!
PS: Also, I got a shoutout on writingnotraging.com with my September budget results! I’m glad I could inspire someone to take a look at their own finances! 🙂
How was October for you? What goals do you have in November?